Monday, October 10, 2011

What Conference Intern Jeff Storms Would Go To If We Didn't Have Him Working 24-Hours-A-Day

Greetings and salutations, Festivalgoers! I, Jeff Storms, am a screenwriter, sound designer, musician, and producer who has worked in Austin for the past six years. I’m a graduate of the UT Austin Radio-TV-Film program and I also have worked for the University of Texas Institute for Geophysics and the University of Houston Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences as a research scientist and project consultant since 2007, specializing in geographic database analysis and research project management.

As a writer, my screenplay, WHEN THE MOON RISES, an existential murder mystery set in Texas Hill Country, was a finalist for production in the University of Texas Film Institute (UTFI) program in Spring 2009, and in summer 2011, myself and my writer/director colleague established Keymaster Films, an Austin-based production company set to produce WHEN THE MOON RISES as well as two other screenplays that I’ve co-written. I ultimately hope to independently produce my work with a number of my co-conspirators in Austin and to work as a screenwriter on both studio and independent films.

In the past, I’ve attended individual screenings at the Austin Film Festival, but this year will mark the first time that I’ll be attending panels, as well. If I weren’t working at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel during this year’s conference, my schedule would probably look something like this:

Thursday, 10/20
12:00pm-12:30pm – Opening Remarks
1:00pm-2:15pm – A Conversation with Alec Berg
2:45pm-4:00pm – Complex Characters: A Conversation with Lawrence Kasdan

Friday, 10/21
9:00am-10:15am – Breaking into the Business: A Conversation with Brian McGreevy and Lee Shipman
10:45am-12:00pm – Based on a True Story
1:45pm-3:00pm – The Creative Career: What You Need to Know
3:15pm-4:30pm – A Shot of Inspiration

Saturday, 10/22
9:00am-10:15am – Authors and Screenwriters: Adaptations and Writing in Different Mediums
10:45am-12:00pm – A Conversation with 2011 Extraordinary Contribution to Filmmaking John Lasseter
12:30pm-3:30pm – Independent Filmmaking: Pre-Production and Production
3:45pm-5:00pm – A Conversation with 2011 Distinguished Screenwriter Awardee Caroline Thompson

Sunday, 10/23
11:30am-12:45pm – How to Take a Meeting & the Development Process
1:15pm-3:15pm – Endings: The Good, the Bad, and the Insanely Great with Michael Arndt
4:30pm – Exclusive Staged Reading of “The Nice Guys” directed by Shane Black

No comments: