Friday, April 07, 2006

Durwood's Video Pick of the Week



Durwood Wilkes is a professional bingo caller from Henshitt, Texas currently making his home base in Chicago. He recently celebrated his 25th year of criss-crossing the country spreading the gospel of bingory. The video pick of the week is taken from The Weekly Hopper, a newsletter for fans of Honky Tonk Bingo, a Sunday night tradition at the Pontiac Cafe' in Chicago. To subscribe to the Hopper, drop him a line at honkytonkbingoman@gmail.com.


A note from Durwood about his absence...
All right, I'm back. Did you miss me, my darlin's? The Hopper will
be weekly from now on. I really don't want to get in to why I was
gone, but it was kind of like in Superman II when Superman ditches his
Earth-saving duties to be with Lois Lane and three super villains run
amok. But I'm here for you now and I promise to never let you down
again. Ah, terrible analogies. It's what the Hopper's all about.
I'm serious, y'all.

And now, this week's pick:


The Apostle, dir. Robert Duvall 1997

This is Robert Duvall's (Texan!) engrossing character study of a
charismatic evangelical preacher running away from trouble and
building a church in a tiny Louisiana town. Duvall eschews the
cliché's associated with evangelists and offers up a performance that
is filled with compassion for a character seeking forgiveness. This
was a labor of love for Duvall and anyone can see his affinity for the
rural south and the people who inhabit it.

No comments: