John Merriman, Film Programmer
1. The Cake Eaters - The first feature from writer Jayce Bartok and director Mary Stuart Masterson is a deliberately paced tale of loss and redemption, marked by strong characters and exquisite performances by Bruce Dern and Kristen Stewart.
2. Bolinao 52 - A survivor of the Vietnamese Boat People exodus confronts her deepest secret a long unspoken taboo in this deeply personal, deeply moving documentary.
3. Poor Boy's Game - Acclaimed writer/director Clément Virgo tackles the story of an impossible alliance between a father and his son's murderer set in the world of amateur boxing. Be sure and check out the trailer.
4. Taxi to the Darkside - Alex Gibney's powerful follow up to Enron: the Smartest Guy in the Room looks at the death of an Afghan taxi driver at the hands of US soldiers. Incredible.
5. La Misma Luna (Under the Same Moon) - After his grandmother's passing, a young boy in Mexico tries to reconnect with his mother who is working illegally in the United States in this moving film.
Alex Gibney's Taxi to the Darkside